There was a time when laptops had a seemingly prohibitive price tag attached to them as compared to what you would ideally be required to shell out for a mainstream computer that would sit like an idol on your desk. Down the years, though, this cost advantage that desktops possessed has slowly disappeared and now laptops are the overwhelming favorites.
This is especially true for those who have to solder on with limited space on the desk or have a feeling that someday, they will be required to use a computer outside their home.
Simultaneously, technological advancements have put forth a variety of laptops for the consumer to choose. Nevertheless, there is a downside to it as having so many options makes it difficult to figure out which is best suited to your needs.
So if you are looking for a laptop to serve the most basic functions in your home, here are some of the specifications you need to take note of.
Random Access Memory (RAM) is the short-term memory on your laptop. It temporarily stores information while you go about using the laptop for various purposes. Remember, in a hard-drive files are stored on a long-term basis. The RAM in your laptop determines the number of tasks it will be able to handle simultaneously.
Try to get hold of the maximum RAM your budget will allow you to afford. This way, you can surf the Internet, update your security software, and have some ripping music playing in the background without facing performance issues.
In some laptops, more RAM can be added later on. However, this process is more complicated than adding RAM to a desktop computer.
Most standard laptops offer a battery backup for around five to six hours when used on a moderate to heavy level. On larger laptops you won’t get anything more than three hours while the best ultraportable model will give a backup of seven-eight hours. Making suitable adjustments to the power settings will also enable improved battery life.
The importance of battery life varies from one person to another. If your laptop is going to sit at home for the most part, close to a charging port, this may not be an issue.
Top 3 basic laptops:
# RANK 1
ASUS VivoBook F510UA 15.6” Full HD Nanoedge Laptop, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, USB-C, Fingerprint, Windows 10 Home - F510UA-AH51, Star Gray
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 14.2 Inches Wide, 0.8 Inches Thin and portable footprint with 0.3 Inches Nano edge bezel for a stunning 80% screen to body ratio
- 15.6 inches Anti glare full HD display with ASUS splendid software enhancement
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD
- Ergonomic chiclet keyboard with fingerprint sensor, Windows 10 Home
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning fast 802.11AC Wi Fi keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
The new Asus VivoBook has an amazing display with 15.6″ Anti-glare FHD display with ASUS splendid software enhancement. An ultra-narrow 0.3” ASUS Nano Edge Bezel it gets an incredible 80% screen-to-body ratio that makes your experience of streaming videos and movies much more crispy and theatrical. The ASUS VivoBook comes equipped with a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with reversible USB Type-C connector to increase your connectivity and data transfer speed. Thus it is a good option for those looking for one of the best basic laptops for daily use. Go get your Asus Vivobook in your hand now !!
# RANK 2
The new HP Pavilion X360 is a perfect combination of convenience, power and beauty altogether. Powered by 8th Gen Intel Core i3-8130U processor with up to 2.2GHz speed to give you multitasking power without a notch. With dedicated 4GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB storage it gives a huge space to store all your music and photos. With a sleek and stylish profile, it comes with a 14-inch FHD IPS display which, Touch screen enabled, and WLED backlit display technology.
For a rich display and gaming experience, it is equipped with Intel UHD 620 Graphics. Thanks to the 2×2 antennas and Intel Wireless-AC 802.11ac (2×2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo that gives you faster data transfer and connectivity speed. With smooth metal finish and 360-degree hinge, you can use it in your comfortable position to play games, watch movies, stream videos. Isn’t is amazingly a statement piece to flaunt around the town weighing just at 3.43lbs and as thin as 0.80 Inches. Wondering still, it is undoubtedly one of the best basic laptops if you are planning to buy a value-priced laptop in this category.
# RANK 3
Dell Inspiron 15 Intel Core i3-7130U 8GB 1TB HDD 15.6" HD LED Windows 10 Laptop
- POWER: Powerful Intel i3 processor; 8 GB RAM memory enables speed and ease of use
- STORAGE/TRANSFER: Store your files using the 1 TB SATA hard disk drive and transfer them with media card reader
- DISPLAY: 15.6" HD display with 1366 x 768 resolution and Intel graphics
- ACCESSORIES: Keyboard with numeric keypad / Waves MaxxAudio with stereo speakers / 2 USB 3.1, 1 USB 2.0 and 1 HDMI port
- ADVANCED: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless capabilities / Windows 10 Home operating system